Fancy Swiss Meringue Buttercream (SMBC) on your cupcake?
Ever tried frosting a cake with freshly whipped dairy cream and having it melting in front of your eyes even before being served?
Before you throw in the towel, try SMBC. In our hot summery weather in Singapore, SMBC is a better option compared to fresh whip cream due to its great stability. No funny preservatives. 100% natural ingredients.
All you need is 3 basic ingredients: egg whites, caster sugar and butter. Voila!
Make more and you can FREEZE the excess for your rainy days too. I froze my first batch up to a month and slapped it onto my boy’s cake without any issues. The biggest tip to using the frozen SMBC though is to bring it to room temperature first before using it. I didn’t even have to rewhip it. Second tip, freeze them into small batches. If you use just a little for mini cupcakes, you could just take a small container out to defrost. If you need generous portions for a cake, by all means, defrost all that you have. But the idea is not to freeze it again – freshness issues.
207g Egg Whites (approx. 5.5 egg whites)
454g butter (softened at room temperature & cut into small chunks )
1. Put egg white in a large metal bowl and sit it over a pot of simmering water. Do not let bottom of bowl touch the water.
2. Use a balloon whisk to stir the sugar and egg whites. Heat it to 160Farenheit. I use a expresso thermometer to keep track of the temperature.
3. Once you reach 160F, remove the bowl from the simmering pot. Use electric whisk to beat the mixture at medium speed. Mixture should double in volume and form stiff peaks after about 12 minutes.
4. Use cut up butter and slowly add in the chunks, piece by piece. Whisk at slow speed until all blended and you get a smooth SMBC.
5. Prior to use, flavour as you wish. For above portion, you may add 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract to taste.
– Do not preheat water and put egg white over it. Egg whites may be cooked.
– Above recipe is less sweet. If you like your buttercream sweeter, can increase sugar up to 300g.
– For crisp white SMBC, I read that colourless imitation vanilla essence may be used. Don’t quote me.
– Use paddle in the end and whisk for 1 minute to achieve whiter cream by whipping air into it.
– Keep in fridge up to 3 days and freezer to store up to 2 months.