If you love soft cottony cakes, then this recipe is a keeper. As a kid, nothing beats a home baked pandan chiffon cake. When my mum started to cut her cake, it was time to make the dash. For despite being a 10 egg cake, it sure didn’t last long. There were four kids in the family (including myself) and the cue was the aroma from the oven and then quick legworks to get to kitchen before the others could lay their hands on the cake.
Today, I have continued my mum’s “legacy” … haha … or so a lot of family friends have said. My love for chiffon cake continued and trust me, I have my fair share of successes as well as failures. And gladfully, my kids also share my love for the soft bouncy chiffon cakes.
My top favourite was Okashi’s chiffon cake. I have tweaked her recipe to make a pandan flavoured chiffon. Hope you enjoy it too.
And just to share, you can do patterning on chiffon cakes too. Here’s what I had done to one of them …
Top flour 80g
5 yolks (using 60g eggs)
40g coconut milk
30g pandan juice
60g sunflower oil
Caster Sugar 90g
Corn Starch 10g
5 egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 150 degree celcius.
2. Combine egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Add pandan juice, oil and coconut milk and blend together. Add in flour and mix until batter is sticky.
3. To make meringue, whisk the egg whites until foamy. Add in half of the sugar and corn starch (can mix these ingredients together beforehand). Continue beating for a couple minutes, then add remaining sugar and corn flour until egg whites produce stiff peaks. A handheld electric whisk works best for the job.
4. Add 1/3 of merginue to egg yolk mixture and fold in lightly. Then add former batter into the remaining meringue and fold in with swift actions.
5. Pour batter into a 21cm chiffon tin and place in oven (lower rack) to bake for 50 minutes at 150 degree celcius.
6. When cake is done, flip it over to cool completely (approx. 30minutes to 1hr) before unmoulding. My preferred unmoulding method is by hand. What is unmoulding by hand? Here’s a link to my favourite blogger’s video: http://www.thebakingbiatch.com/2013/01/fluffy-pandan-chiffon-cake.html